Places to Party

Monday, December 16, 2013

Homemade Holiday Surprise "Heath" Bars

Happy  Holidays!

 
With this week being the start of the holiday week for many, I thought I'd offer you an early gift. Salted caramel seems to be a "hot" and "with it" flavor right now among foodies. But my family has enjoyed these simple to make, impossible to resist, homemade toffee bars for years. They are quite unique from just about anything I've seen in that the center of the cookie is such an unthought of surprise.

They are a very rich bar cookie and perfect for your upcoming holiday potlucks or parties where you want a simple but decadent finger food dessert. Much like the beloved candy bar they are named for, they are equally at home in your child's lunchbox.

My holiday gift to you......

Homemade Surprise "Heath" Bars    
So Yummy!

Large cookie sheet with sides
Tin foil to line said cookie sheet

Saltine crackers, enough to line
your cookie sheet
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/2 pkg. choc. chips.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.






 

On a foil lined cookie sheet with sides, place saltines in a single layer. (I did a triple amount in this photo.)



I sprayed the foil with a bit of non-stick
spray and it worked fairly well. Very little
though so you don't make the saltines mushy.




Melt butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Once brown sugar is thoroughly mixed with the butter (you will have some "gritty-ness" to the mix, it never gets perfectly smooth), pour mixture over saltines  and bake for ten minutes. Take out of the oven and, while still hot, pour a layer of chocolate chips over the entire pan of saltines.






Place back into the oven for a couple of seconds, only long enough to soften the chocolate chips to a spreadable consistency and remove. Spread the now melted chocolate chips over the whole of the saltine bars and let cold until cool enough to handle. Put in the freezer to solidify. Once the chocolate has become solid, remove and break into pieces. Delicious!




3 comments:

  1. Someone years ago made these and my first taste was heaven! But I couldn't remember who made them, so I couldn't get the recipe. Now I can make them myself. Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend!
    Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite candy bar made into a wonderful treat, ahhh yes!!! Thank you for sharing at the Cookie swap party, pinned! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really good and so easy to make. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete